Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Teachers Webring - The Teachers' Webring is comprised of over 200 top educational websites created by teachers and by suppliers of teacher

Forums     Login   Signup

Teachers Webring

Manager: bennecelli
The Teachers' Webring is comprised of over 200 top educational websites created by teachers and by suppliers of teacher materials. Our members range from kindergarten through college level educators. Many of our member sites are maintained as classroom websites which describe the interesting things the students are doing and what they have accomplished. The Teachers' Webring is a super resource for creative ideas that can be used by other teachers and homeschoolers.br /

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Tips on Teaching Common Core Citical Vocabulary - 09/25/2013
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-20cQ9hAR_KE/UkM6VqRRdiI/AAAAAAAAIAk/33Y_864M0nI/s400/Common_Core_Vocabulary_Tips_blog_button_revised_.jpg

As a former ESL teacher and working at a Title I school where students don't hear many rich and robust words at home, vocabulary instruction has always been a major part of my reading curriculum. There is a new language associated with Common Core standards that students also need to understand. These are content specific words but critical for students to understand. This list is called the Common Core Critical Language. You can access the 55 critical nouns and verbs by clicking HERE.   If you take a look at the standards you will see these words repeatedly throughout the ELA Common Core Skills. For the primary grades you will see words such as: draw, retell, trace, summarize, compare and contrast, describe, develop, and demonstrate just to name a few verbs. Here are just a few of the critical nouns for the primary grades: details, conclusions, theme.   How do you know your students understand these words? Here's a simple way to find out. Look at the standards to see when these critical vocabulary words are introduced. Make a list to give to each of your students, like the ones below. Try to highlight those words as you look through the standards for your grade level. Although you may think that your students may understand what they mean you may be surprised. I would not make the list any more than ten and you may only want to do a few during vocabulary instruction for the primary grades. I've included 2 different lists; one for primary and one for  int...

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy